Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    freya3
    Visitors

Default Books on Odinism/Asatru for beginners

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books on Odinism/Asatru for beginners. I have gone to Amazon.com and they have a vast amount of Pagan books to choose from. I am just @ a loss...

Carla

valaskjalf
    Visitors

Search on the internet for Sagas and Eddas..There's also lots of information on this site which we are now, Just go to beginner section..Its like at the top

Jamie.

Crossley-Hollands "Norse Myths", "The Poetic Edda", "The Prose Edda" all for a good base...
    For actual practice...
    Coulter's "Germanic Heathenry" and Chisholm's "True Hearth" are great...
    Lonnie

Frith and honour, these are the sum of life, the essence of what a man needs to live fully and happily.

Full Members

I'd recommend "Asatru: The Hidden Fortress" by Edred Wodanson. Which is probably the best introduction to Odinism I know of.

http://www.odin.org/bk-athf.htm

I always reccomend "Interview witha Gothi" from the OR, a very short (44pp) essay that encompasses most of the basics of modern Odinism

Also the longer "Odinism in the Modern World" By Wulfstan OR, a longer and more thorough work

http://www.********rite.org/books.html

Thanks for all of these...I was actually thinking about asking this question myself! Takk Fyrir.

"╔g gaf ykkur von sem var­ a­ vonbrig­um.. ■etta er ßgŠtis byrjun!"

Iĺll second both Odinism in the Modern World and Germanic Heathenry: A Practical Guide. The latter I refer to constantlyŚand Iĺve been Heathen for a decade and a half! Some texts just stick to you, know what I mean? Might I also add Odinism: What Is It? To this list, which is available online at http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/bos183.htm (although the contact address at the end, I believe, is defunct) or may be purchased in hard copy from the Odinic Rite.

Germanic Heathenry, does it focus on continental custom or is it valuable also for a northman like myself? What kind of things does it bring up?

Quote Originally Posted by ŠinvargR
    Germanic Heathenry, does it focus on continental custom or is it valuable also for a northman like myself? What kind of things does it bring up?

While it the main focus is on Germanic Heathenry practice (hence the name "Germanic Heathenry: A Practical Guide") any Heathen would be well served reading it... There are things in it that apply across the board...
    Lonnie

Frith and honour, these are the sum of life, the essence of what a man needs to live fully and happily.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie
    While it the main focus is on Germanic Heathenry practice (hence the name "Germanic Heathenry: A Practical Guide")
    Well, we're all Germanic. This book's title should be German Heathenry...but perhaps that sounds national rather than ethnical and that could have made it sound less attractive to US citizens? I have the book now, and have read the first two chapters; so far, I'm not sure if I like the "this is how it is/should be done today" concept, more references to historical sources would make it better though. Also, while browsing the book a bit, I noticed it said something a long the lines of "let a witch light the bonfire"...