Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Cabins and Survival Structures

The time will soon be here my Kinsman when we will no longer have the pleasure of living in these modular cookie cutter housing units "If you can call living like factory hens pleasurable" therefore It is integral to our survival as a folk and religion to be able to have shelter and comfort when the SHTF and when we settle our new territory much like our ancestors did when they began the colonies oh so many years ago, there blood flows in your veins, we can do this because our ancestors did it!

This thread is being made as a thread to post Cabin construction information, by Cabin I mean hand hewn logs, not kits or log siding or any of the other straps laid out for you by companies who sale so called cabins.

In this thread we will go over the various types of notches, log tree species, different types of construction and assembly of logs, as well as other types of chinking and sealants, not to mention minor masonry of chimneys, floors, etc. as well as types of roofing and shingling systems that can all be gotten off the land and not bought in system stores. Also in this thread it would be appropriate to include post and beam as well as other types of wood traditional building systems and styles.

I look forward to writing my post and I look forward to seeing your contributions as well!

Regards,
    Scott.

Full Members

cool log cabins
    we could make some log cabins or log cabin in to a sort of survival retreat,
    with defensible positions.
    that would provide good protection to asatru survivalist and there familys.
    i will do some reserch on log cabins and come back to this thread to lurn.
    Hail Odin. this religion can save our people. Hail Odin.

Northwest Homeland.
    Freedom comes from the sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3XGjD39DyM

This video shows the proper Saddle Notch for log cabin joinery!

Quote Originally Posted by insurgent Wolf View Post
    we could make some log cabins or log cabin in to a sort of survival retreat,
    with defensible positions.
    that would provide good protection to asatru survivalist and there familys.
    Log cabins make very poor defensible strong holds, there only purpose is to provide shelter from the elements however there are not safe against man, examples of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4il1I...layer_embedded

And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9-Ih4H70MM

Full Members

yes log cabin can be burnt or shot.

i was talking about haveing the log cabin in the middle of the survival retreat to be used olny for shelter.
    the land arond the log cabin would have fighting holes, fox holes , earth burms.
    the defensible positions would be outside and arond the log cabin.

Northwest Homeland.

In other words a woodland hill fort much like in Matthewsville in KD Rebel, I am getting the picture

Full Members

would a shack or barn be as good as a log cabin?

what are the flors of the log cabin made of? how are they made?

Northwest Homeland.

Quote Originally Posted by insurgent Wolf View Post
    would a shack or barn be as good as a log cabin?
    Yeah they would be about the same though the cabin is a bit stronger as logs are round, and it would be harder to build a barn or a shack with cut lumber especially because hewing lumber takes a good while! Were talking post shtf here.

what are the floors of the log cabin made of? how are they made?
    They are made from everything from a dirt floor, a masonry stone floor, or a wood floor, I'll post more on cabins soon!

Here is a site that has some pretty good photos of how roof construction works

http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/Alaska_cabin_page3.htm

Youtube to the rescue

The whole process!

Starting with the floor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbiX5xBIYmE watch all of his cabin building videos, very good!

I don't reply often here, but this is something I do know something about. Currently we are building what is called an Earth Ship.Basicly it is a structure made form old tires that are filled with dirt and stacked and pinned. Once they are complete they require little in the way of cooling or heating. Not to easy to build but fire secure once done. Adobe is another building material to look at. Adobe stacked end to end makes a wall 2 feet thick. Bullet proof up to but not including .50 BMG. ( I know I have one.). One friend of mine, (Morman not Heathen ) and built his house out of adobe, but in between the two layers of adobe we placed 1" plywood. We did a tempoary wall and shot at it with my Barrett. It still penetrated but lost so much velocity that the bullets where found laying within 4 feet of the wall. Not enough yet to do much damage. We then hung a ham (uncured with skin) and repeated the test. So serious penetration of the ham, more like getting hit by a baseball. It would hurt but not fatal. Look out side of the wooden box. Here in the southwest wood is a used but earth is used more by folks looking to 1 make a inexpensive but strong home, and 2 not putting a large footprint on Midgard.
    Enemies may come into our country and times will have changed, but then the
    boys will come down from the old high hills and belt on their guns again.
    Louis L'Amour

A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
    But have his weapons to hand:
    He knows not when he may need a spear,
    Or what menace meet on the road.
    Ođin