Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Full Members

Default odinism vs asatru

i was wondering what the diffrence was between odinism and asatru

Full Members

i use the two terms interchangeably.
    however i think the term odinist is more associated with being folkish.
    Hail Odin. this religion can save our people. Hail Odin.

Northwest Homeland.
    Freedom comes from the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by insurgent Wolf View Post
    i use the two terms interchangeably.
    however i think the term odinist is more associated with being folkish.
    I agree, to me they mean pretty much the same.

We have enough division without worrying about nomenclature. For my part, I call myself Heathen, but all true followers of Asatru or Odinism or Forn Seidh are my brethren.

asatru is usually about all the gods, where as an odinist usual considers odin their patron god, or a thorsman consider thor their patron god....BUT alot of people refer to asatru as odinism in a generic term since he is the head honcho, numero uno god in asgard, and by using the term odinist, they mean him and all gods below him in stature, and the halls they inhabit.

Full Members

We are all heathen. The small differences between Asatru and Odinism is like comparing baptist to methodist. Follow your heart, respect your ancestors, and read like crazy.

FFF
    Guy

I use the term Wotanism, as there is no confusion that look at the social issues that we face today as well as re-viving our fading culture. Asatru, Odinism, Heathen...these are fine, with many awesome people that use it but Wotanism takes you to "Creed of Iron" belief.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenson View Post
    asatru is usually about all the gods, where as an odinist usual considers odin their patron god, or a thorsman consider thor their patron god....BUT alot of people refer to asatru as odinism in a generic term since he is the head honcho, numero uno god in asgard, and by using the term odinist, they mean him and all gods below him in stature, and the halls they inhabit.
    Ravenson put it best IMO. I call myself ASATRUAR.....not an Odinist. I personally feel that distinguishing the differences between an Odinist and an Asatruar is VERY important and our folk should understand the difference! They both mean something very different!

Read H.R. ELLIS DAVIDSON's "Gods and Myths of Northern Europe", you'll understand the very difference after reading her books!!!

Rich
    "Slander cannot destroy an honest man - when the flood recedes the rock is there"

Full Members

Asatru - Same beliefs as Odinism but believe that ANYONE can join their religion, regardless of race.
    Odinism - Same beliefs as Asatru but is more "folkish" - Not anyone can join.

IMO :P

I personally am very folkish.

Hailsa
    I know many use different terms to say they are Wotanists or that they practice Wotanism,
    i have heard the terms TRU,Wotanist,Odinism,Heathenry,Asatru,it has been stated in previous posts its a way to be folkish or perhaps to separate as a distinct entity.I feel that we as a whole must just remember that the goodds & goddesses are not just for any one who feels curious & wants a change.A person may view these sites & troll so to say but to be Asatru ,must know how to read ,write ,sacrifice,supplicate,offer & understand our ways,We are one in the same as a whole & united as such if we choose to be.
    Bless